Monday, March 16, 2009

I was fortunate to catch my neighbor cutting up a maple tree that went down a few weeks ago. This is their bowl in trade for the tree. The size and cost for this type of bowl is 16x9x2.25 $70. It won't take long for the rest of the wood to spalt and darken, but for the next few weeks the bowls will be a nice light creamy color. Kim your bowl will be ready in about a week.







This piece is a 9x4x2 and $25. The sides are nice and thin around an 1/8 of an inch. It's a center cut with the bottom being the very heart of the tree. The only problem with the heart is that it is very unstable and will check or crack through it's curing stage. So far it has a small crack along the dark brown line in the lower right of the bowl.

1 comment:

SB WoodWorks said...

Tom,
save this one for me! I hope to get my Friday or Saturday. Shoulder healing from Wednesday surgery!
Thanks,
Sam Bond
www.sbwoodworks@comcast.net